Anxiety Turned Up To The Max: A Guide To Understanding Anxiety & Panic Attacks, Symptoms & Treatment

 



I have suffered with an anxiety disorder nearly all of my life, it started as a young child, I was so young when it started in fact that I can't remember life without it. Now then, when I start to talk about anxiety people who haven't suffered with an anxiety disorder do not always understand the severity of it, as occasional anxiety is a normal part of life which most of us have experienced. Everyone feels anxious now and then. Feeling anxious about challenging events and situations or feeling threatened is common and totally normal. I am not talking about occasional anxiety today, I am talking about high anxiety when the beast takes hold of you and pulls you down mentally and physically.

Instead of just writing a generic blog post about anxiety and how to manage it, I have decided to include my personal experience as I really want to highlight how debilitating anxiety can be. Oh before I start writing about one of my experiences with anxiety I must add that if you are no stranger to anxiety please know that you are not alone. 1 in 13 globally suffers from anxiety. The WHO reports that anxiety disorders are the most common mental health disorders worldwide. 

Ok so here goes....One of my experiences. Please note it may be triggering to those who suffer with anxiety and panic attacks.

"I can't believe I am feeling this way AGAIN, what is happening to me? what is wrong? I have only just opened my eyes and my heart is beating so fast, too fast. I am sweating and I am oh so tired, I went to bed feeling like this and wake up just the same. Am I going mad? or is something really bad going to happen today? I am panicking and I can't stop, I am finding it harder to breathe and I know a panic attack is looming. So I start pacing up and down the room as I can't sit still. I can't go out today it's all too much, something bad is going to happen I know it. I can't do this I just can't. I have had enough! Please stop, please stop this, it is crushing my airways and my chest feels so tight it feels as if someone's standing on it..........Help!"

So as you can see I experience lots of different symptoms when suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. I do not always suffer to this severity, I just wanted to highlight how severe it can be.

Anxiety and panic attack symptoms sourced from healthline.com :
Excessive worrying
Feeling agitated
Restlessness
Fatigue
Difficulty concentrating
Irritability
Tense muscles
Trouble falling or staying asleep
Avoiding social situations
Irrational fears
Panic attacks produce an intense, overwhelming sensation of fear. This extreme fear is typically accompanied by rapid heartbeat, sweating, shaking, shortness of breath, chest tightness, nausea and fear of dying or losing control.

I am not going to sit here and lie and say I have completely recovered from anxiety and panic attacks because I haven't. I am in recovery  but I still suffer with anxiety on a daily basis.  Anxiety still plays a big part in my life but it doesn't always rule my life, yes that's right anxiety doesn't have to rule your life there are ways to help stop the beast from pulling you down.

10 Ways to stop anxiety ruling your life.

Identify your triggers: It is really important to identify your triggers. You can do this by keeping a diary/journal, talking to someone or reflect on past experiences. Once you have identified  your triggers which may be stress, insomnia or a panic disorder to name but a few you can learn to manage them by using some of these coping strategies listed below.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - CBT: This type of therapy can help you understand the cause of the problem and bring greater awareness . CBT specifically teaches you how to cope with your fears by uncovering the underlying cause of your worries. It enables you to see worrying situations in a new way and develop tools for dealing with them more effectively.

Stay connected and communicate: Talking to someone you trust can really alleviate anxiety. If you find it hard to talk to someone you know then you may be interested in calling a helpline. If you live in the UK and Republic of Ireland Samaritans provide support 24/7.  If you live else where in the world take a look at national website search by country Befrienders

Question negative thoughts: Anxiety really does cause very negative thinking.  Learning to think positively is also an important step in learning to cope with your anxiety.  A positive mental attitude really does help, however this is easier said than done. If you are struggling to think positively click here.

Practice mindful living: Mindfulness exercises are about living in the present moment to reduce stress and anxiety, by spending more time present to ourselves and our surroundings. 

Keep yourself distracted:  Do something that will take your mind off your anxiety. You may find doing something to keep yourself distracted really helps such as baking, watching films, listening to music, playing games plus lots more. Keeping yourself distracted will stop you from focusing too much on your worries, and prevent your anxiety from taking over your thoughts. 

Physical activity: Regular exercise alleviates chronic anxiety and may reduce the frequency and severity of panic attacks. It doesn't have to be aerobic exercise it can be going for a walk at a slightly faster pace than usual, housework particularly hoovering and chores which make you build up a sweat. 

Good sleep hygiene: A good sleep routine is very important. Lack of sleep or not being able to achieve the right quota of sleep one needs for a prolonged period of time (or for some just a few nights of restless sleep) can effect our body, mind and soul. Sleep is an important aid to our wellbeing.

A balanced diet: Eating nutritious foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and healthy fats remains a good recommendation for those who struggle with anxiety. Avoiding processed foods and foods high in sugar means the body experiences fewer highs and lows of blood sugar, which helps to further reduce feelings of anxiety.

Medication: If your anxiety is severe enough that it is impacting your life you may benefit from medication. If you feel that medication may be beneficial please talk to your doctor or mental health team. 

**Personally I have been keeping myself distracted recently. I have been using distraction as a form of escape a bit too much. This has stopped me from working on other coping strategies. So when keeping yourself distracted be careful not to use it as avoidance as this could worsen your anxiety in the long run.

If you feel you are experiencing anxiety on the majority of days professional advice should be sought.







Comments

Popular Posts